Sunday, April 13, 2014

It's Alive (again)!

With all of the batteries interconnected, I finally turned the controller on for the first time in nearly two years.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that it came right up.  I hooked up my little Windows XP notebook (kept for just this purpose) and tweaked the settings for the new voltage levels:

The four key parameters I changed were:

  • EE2NoAccelBat - this is the voltage level below which no current should be drawn.  I set it to 2.8V per cell, or 268.8V total
  • EE2NoRegenBat - this is the maximum voltage above which no regenerative braking will occur.  This is set lower than the charge current to keep the cells from overcharging and causing the MiniBMS to haz a sad.  I set it to 3.4V per cell, or 326.4V total
  • EE2PSHighBatVoltage - I don't know what this is for, but I set it to the charge cutoff voltage of 3.5V per cell, or 336V
  • EE2PSLimitBatVoltage - I don't know what this is for, either, but I set it to the maximum I ever want to see on these cells, 3.6V per cell, or 345.6V total
With the parameters established, I put the Jeep in neutral, then turned the handle to "drive enable."  Pushing the throttle spun the motor!  So I put it in first and drove forward a couple of inches.  Victory!

It's not ready to drive around the neighborhood, yet - I need to finish the BMS wiring and do some other miscellaneous mechanical / cosmetic work.  But this is a significant milestone.

No comments: