Sunday, October 5, 2008

Designing Controller Mount

This evening was spent in the front compartment. First up: figuring out how to mount the DMOC445 controller securely. After snooping around, I found these weldnuts on either side of the frame rails in the engine compartment - they were not being used for anything:

So I cut a 3/16" 1.5 by 1.5 angle iron to length, notched one end, and drilled a hole in the other to fit between those two holes:

Here is the bolt going through the hole in the other side:

With this bracket in place, I test placed some smaller 1.25 by 1.25 1/8" bar stock on top of it (and on top of a 1.5" box tube in front to level things out):

After trimming the two smaller angle brackets, I inverted them (so the flat part faced up) and placed the DMOC445 on top. Fits nicely!

I still need to finish the part currently occupied by the 1.5" box tube - possibly just threaded rod with coupling nuts to act as spacers, but that will wait for another weekend. And these pieces need to be rattle-canned.

No comments: